- 1728Year Built
The James Cagney Estate - A vast 70-acre estate with multiple building sites on the north shore of Chilmark. This is possibly the last time a real estate asset of this scale ever becomes available on Martha's Vineyard. The property is a world unto itself offering so much of what Chilmark and Martha's Vineyard are rightly famous for - water views, beach access, sun-dappled meadows, shaded forests through which streams and brooks wend, and lichen-covered stone walls. Exploring this estate - actually made up of three contiguous pieces of property - is like traveling through time and offers a window into a Chilmark of days gone by. The property was at one time the summer retreat of movie star Jimmy Cagney whose affection for this place is legendary. The Cagney house dates from the 1700s and is still in its original location along with a second house, studio, and barn. The prime waterview building site is located a distance away and is completely private. Located on a ridge and surrounded by acres of meadows and stone walls, this site offers views of Vineyard Sound and the mainland in the distance. A third building site is situated in another area of wide open meadows. The opportunities to develop this estate are many and varied and are limited only by a buyer's vision. This rare property could be yours to be treasured now and for generations of your family to come - truly a refuge from the exigencies of modern city living.
Listed by Wallace & Co. Sotheby's
Contact Hancock Real Estate:
- MLS Number36813
- List Price$8,950,000
- Modification Date2020-06-30T14:14:23
- Date Listed2020-06-30T14:14:24
- Other Struct Description18th-century timber frame barn with a newer addition, plus an outbuilding/studio considered a detached bedroom.
- Heat TypeOther
- Water ViewYes
- StreetNorth Road
- Building Number277
- Location41.372679, -70.737966
- ParkingAmple space for parking
- Outdoor SpacesBeach Access - Deeded, Water Views
- Lot Size SqFt3014352
- Yard TypeRolling fields
- FeaturesOutdoor Shower
- TV TypeNone
- Square Feet2914
- Lead PaintUnknown
- Half Bath2
- Year Built1728
- Flooring Type2
- Floor 1 DescriptionThe 1700s Post & Beam structure has original wood paneling around the hearth. Four rooms plus a full bathroom and kitchen. CURRENTLY NOT HABITABLE AS-IS.
- Floor 2 Description2 Bedrooms with a half bathroom.
- Update TypeNONE
- Second DwellingExisting
- View Count33