- 1850Year Built
Town-and-country living is at its Vineyard best on this storied, tree-lined corridor where 19th Century whaling captains built handsome retreats from the sea. The Music Street lifestyle of the 21st Century gets no better than on this spacious, bucolic compound barely a thousand feet from Alley's Store and the Farm Market. This homestead of 2.25 acres, in the same family since 1965, embraces three beloved dwellings -- the main house, a guest cottage and The Barn. The gently rolling landscape features an open lawn that begs for child's play, a garden party or, for the farmer in you, organic beds. Mature foliage abounds: a shady locust grove, apple and cherry trees, wisteria, scads of lilacs and daffodils and then some. A kidney shaped pool completes the package. Just over the property line is the lovely vista of an abutting 12.44-acre meadow with a deeded conservation and agricultural restriction. The three-bedroom main house is a classic Greek Revival, circa 1850. According to lore, it was moved to its present site from Middletown (today's North Tisbury) in 1863. Refurbished down to the studs and expanded in 1965, the home stays true to its period charms in the restoration of the wainscoting and wide trim boards, among other features. Many original elements remain intact, such as the 8-over-12 mullioned windows, oversized pine floorboards and iron hardware. The expansion added a great room with fireplace on the first level and a sky-lighted studio above, raising the total living space to 1,920 square feet. Further improvements were made to the kitchen and baths in 2005. Choose either the deep screened-in porch or the bluestone patio for your morning coffee, your lazy afternoon read or your evening cocktail while listening to the birdsong in the trees.
Contact Hancock Real Estate:
- List Price$2,300,000
- MLS Number36601
- Date Listed2020-05-20T17:43:53
- Modification Date2020-05-20T17:43:52
- Basement DescriptionPart full, part crawl space. Unfinished utility space, housing furnace, oil tank and water heater.
- Flooring TypePine, Fir, Oak, Slate, Vinyl
- Floor 1 DescriptionGreat room with fireplace, built-in cabinetry, wide-plank fir floors and egress to patio. Updated kitchen with soapstone and butcher block counters, open to parlor/dining area with wood stove and built-in shelves. Egress to spacious screened-in porch, with further egress to parking area, lawn and gardens. Bedroom. Full bath with laundry. Period-style front entry hall and stairway. Rear stairway with charming curve.
- Floor 2 DescriptionTwo bedrooms. Full bath with claw foot tub. Spacious and lofty studio, office or future rec room, with wide plank-pine floors -- perfect for artists, with three bright skylights.
- Building Number91
- StreetMusic Street
- TownWest Tisbury
- Location41.3827039, -70.6818816
- Lot Size SqFt98010
- Other Struct Description“The Barn” is the relative newbie of the three dwellings, designed with utmost respect for the old-fashioned charm of its surroundings. Built in 1970 by an Island contractor, the breezy three-season home boasts a lofty and open 1225sf interior with abundant light. The barn aesthetic is enhanced by rough-hewn pine wallboards and the charming tree trunks that serve as open beams over the kitchen. The floors on the main level are natural slate. Built-in corner seating in the open living area serves double-duty as extra sleeping space for guests. The spacious loft serves as the main bedroom, with views over the protected meadows next door. With its ample separation from the main house and The Cottage, “The Barn” has been successfully rented in recent years to vacation tenants, who have enjoyed use of the pool right beside it.
- Outdoor SpacesDeck, Patio, Private Pool, Beach Access - Public, Porch - Screened
- Parking DescriptionYes
- Square Feet3993
- Foundation TypeStone/Concrete Block
- Lead PaintUnknown
- First Floor Beds1
- Half Bath1
- Year Renovated2005
- Year Built1850
- Heat TypeOil\FHA
- Dishwasher TypeYes-1
- Dryer TypeYes-3
- FeaturesInsulation, Mini-Split Heat/AC, Outdoor Shower, Wood Stove
- Fridge TypeYes-3
- Stove TypeYes-3
- Tv TypeCable
- Washer TypeYes-3
- Second DwellingExisting
- View Count2