- 1843Year Built
The Captain Dexter House, ca. 1843, has a storied history. Originally owned by one of the Island whaling captains, this home has had several iterations, including the most recent in 2004 when a 3 story addition completed the restoration of this charming historic residence set in the heart of the seaside village of Vineyard Haven. The restoration included the preservation of the original architectural details while bringing the home into the present century with the addition of the country kitchen including a large center island and top of the line appliances, informal dining area and family room with a fireplace and access to the garden patio. Conveniences include a walk-in pantry, powder room and full bath, and laundry room. Formal and informal living areas can be found throughout the house as well as seven bedrooms and six and one-half baths. There are five working fireplaces including the master bedroom suite. All mechanical systems have been completely updated including central AC. Exterior living areas feature a balcony off the second floor sitting area, covered porch with views of the harbor, newly fenced bluestone patio with mature plantings, tiered perennial gardens and private parking for 3 cars. Theater, restaurants, boating and the beach are within footsteps of this gracious in-town residence. Walk to the library and elementary school. Offered fully furnished with a list of exclusions, attached. Substantial rental history. VIEW VIDEO UNDER EXTERNAL LINKS AT LOWER RIGHT.
Contact Hancock Real Estate:
- MLS Number34789
- List Price$1,890,000
- Modification Date2019-02-10T18:50:58
- Virtual TourClick Here
- Date Listed2019-02-10T18:50:58
- Flooring TypePine, soft wood, tile
- Floor 1 DescriptionThe gracious foyer greets you as you step into the home from the covered porch. The east facing living room grants a view of the harbor through the angled bay window. The patina of the original floors and the formal fireplace add to the warmth of this lovely room. Step through the wet bar to the inviting dining room with a wall of windows admitting an abundance of natural light. Then onto the family room with a fireplace and raised hearth, French doors leading to the patio and an informal dining area. The gourmet kitchen has a European flair with open shelving, soapstone counters, a 6 burner gas stove with grill and pot faucet, an oversize center island and top of the line appliances. Adjacent to the kitchen is a full bath and dedicated laundry room.
- Floor 2 DescriptionThe second floor can be accessed from the front foyer or a stairway from the family room. The front bedroom has views of the harbor, en suite bath and fireplace. Two of the bedrooms share a Jack and Jill bath with double sinks and tile floors. Situated towards the back of the house is a sunny family/TV room that offers access to a private balcony deck.
- Floor 3 DescriptionThe master bedroom reigns on the third floor offering 675 square feet of peaceful privacy. The gas fireplace tucked in the corner creates a cozy sitting area. The spa-like en suite bath features a "rain shower", a soaking tub, double sinks and WC. Adjoining the bedroom is a spacious cedar lined, walk-in closet. There are three guest rooms, two with en suite baths, and one with a view of the outer harbor to the East Chop Light.
- Basement DescriptionThe full basement under the new section includes a wine cellar, workshop, storage with 10 foot ceilings, gas furnace and hot water heater; crawl and full basement under original structure with oil heating for the front portion of the house. There are 4 heating zones (3 propane, 1 oil) and a 3 zone central air conditioning system, plus window units. Exterior bulkhead.
- StreetMain Street
- Building Number92
- Location41.4562685, -70.6033222
- Outdoor SpacesWater Views, Deck, Garden, Patio, Porch, Community Tennis Court, Beach Access - Public
- Lot Size SqFt9583
- Yard TypePrivate, newly fenced, mature plantings and perennial gardens
- Water ViewYes
- Square Feet6330
- Foundation TypePoured concrete and stone
- Lead PaintUnknown
- Half Bath1
- Year Built1843
- Year Renovated2004
- Heat TypeOil\FHW
- FurnishedPartially Furnished
- FeaturesCentral A/C, Insulation, Irrigation, Outdoor Shower
- Fridge TypeSub Zero
- Dishwasher TypeBosch
- Dryer TypeYes
- Stove Type6 burner with grill
- TV TypeCable
- Washer TypeYes
- Update TypeNONE
- View Count38