- 1873Year Built
Location, Location, Location! Walk or bike to everything. This majestic harbor view property offers living at its best in a vibrant area of well maintained and preserved period homes just one block to Main Street or Owen Park's deep water dock, beach, bandstand, and boat moorings. Enjoy all the benefits with the village mere steps away, clay tennis courts around the corner, and two blocks to the Tisbury school. The Steamship ferry dock is ultra convenient for commuters and excursions to the mainland. Located in the heart of William Street, this Bracketed-Italianate style gem is known as the Capt. Benjamin Cromwell House and was carefully sited on the highest point of the property. Perfectly proportioned cross gable and cupola, impeccably renovated and updated throughout, features include 6 bedrooms, 5 baths, chef's kitchen, oil heat, a/c, spacious finished attic with soaring peaks. Don't forget the adorable cabin guest house with its climbing roses plus the two car garage while overlooking the .66 acre manicured grounds. Skip over to Owen Park to your dinghy or kayak, grab a morning swim or stretch on the beach, or simply soak up a magical sunrise or reflective sunset while the sea ebbs and flows nearby. As the captain of the old Island Line transportation service with steam-powered side-wheelers, the Eagle's Wing and later the Monohansett, this property was an emblem of the Captain's success and enhanced by its prominent physical setting with surrounding decorative caste iron fencing. The architectural details, water views, spacious veranda, gleaming wood floors, 9' ceilings, crown molding, and more will captivate the attention of the most discerning buyer. The historic port of Holmes Hole became Vineyard Haven in 1871 and later Tisbury. William Street was the second street laid out by the village in 1831 and has consistently maintained its look. Truly a rare, in-town, luxury opportunity, in turn-key condition - a property which needs to be seen to be appreciated. Furnishings available separately.
Contact Hancock Real Estate:
- MLS Number31993
- List Price$2,795,000
- Modification Date2018-04-30T07:45:14
- Date Listed2018-04-30T07:45:14
- Other Struct DescriptionCabin/studio guest house, original out house (non functional), 2 car garage.
- Heat TypeOil\FHW
- FeaturesCentral A/C, Insulation, Irrigation, Mini-Split Heat/AC, Outdoor Shower
- Fridge TypeViking; Avallon cooler + Haier combo unit
- Dishwasher TypeKenmore; none in studio
- Dryer TypeWhirlpool; none
- Stove TypeLa Cornue 5 burner gas range; Electric kitcen combo unit in studio
- TV TypeCable
- Washer TypeWhirlpool; none
- Update TypeNONE
- Second DwellingExisting
- View Count81
- StreetWilliam Street
- Building Number108
- Location41.4566577, -70.6047695
- ParkingLandscaped stone and granite parking area by garage in back yard.
- Outdoor SpacesWater Views, Deck, Community Tennis Court, Beach Access - Public, Patio, Porch
- Lot Size SqFt28618
- Yard TypeCommanding, prominent site; lovely yard with specimen plantings and trees.
- Water ViewYes
- Square Feet5534
- Foundation TypeGranite and concrete
- Lead PaintUnknown
- First Floor Beds1
- Year Built1873
- Flooring Type3
- Floor 1 DescriptionEnter the Victorian arched, etched pane, double front doors to the grand front hall with a lovely winding staircase with glass ball finial newel post and diffused light from etched glass hanging ceiling fixture. From the front hall enter left to the great room/living room with beautiful crown molding, carved white marble front with mantle and connecting French doors to the front veranda. Another set of French doors open to the sunny side porch. To the right enter the front parlor (this room is presently used as a portion of the master bedroom suite) with carved white marble front with mantle and beautiful crown molding. Moving ahead from the foyer, through replicated double arched doors, is a roomy middle hall with crown molding and tile floor. Off the center hall, left, enter the dining room which easily accommodates large gatherings and to the right the library and master suite. The dining room includes crown molding, a carved white marble front with mantle and alternate access from the living room via two arched passage ways with built-ins between the two rooms. Off the dining room is an updated powder room with unique square tub. The middle hall opens to the welcoming kitchen and family area with newer granite wood-burning fireplace with wood mantle. The entire area is brightened by French doors opening to the back deck plus north facing windows. The gourmet kitchen includes a La Cornue, five burner propane range, Viking side by side fridge, soapstone sink, custom cabinets, dishwasher, breakfast bar and additional countertops. The countertops are custom made from Long Leaf Yellow Pine salvaged during restoration on the well-known tall ship the Alabama. Beyond the kitchen is a storage/mudroom/laundry room with custom built cupboards, closets, and open shelving. The private and spacious master bedroom suite includes the library, updated bath with new marble shower, soaking tub, plus exterior access to the enclosed outside shower with his and her shower heads.
- Floor 2 DescriptionWith gracious 2nd floor central hallway and wonderful bay windows with village and harbor views, one will want to linger longer. An optional second master suite includes bedroom, living room (or 6th bedroom), and a recently updated full bath with marble shower. Two more bedrooms are adjacent off the hallway with a shared, newly renovated full bath with marble shower plus a shared TV/play room in between. The front north bedroom has a carved white marble front and mantle. Next to the shared bath is an alcove with hot & cold water hook-up for a stack laundry unit. At the end of the hallway is a wonderful guest suite complete with wet bar and under counter beverage cooler, bedroom, sitting room, and recently updated full bath with marble shower. A door off the hallway leads to the finished attic loft and cupola.
- Floor 3 DescriptionInspirational and airy, this fully renovated attic loft, with 1,100+/- s.f. of space and 14’ peaks offers superb water views of the Vineyard Haven Harbor and beyond. Possibilities come to mind: Home office, dance, music, yoga, artist's or writer’s studio, or jumbo recreation play room. No other residence in town affords private studio space of this magnitude with gleaming wood floors and mesmerizing seldom seen views. Another stairway leads to the cupola - the crowning glory of this 1873 historic gem. With supreme water views of the harbor, rooftops, Cape Cod and beyond - north, south, east, and west. Enjoy sunrise, sunset, magnificent starry nights, moon gazing, and fireworks displays from ones very own perch.
- Basement DescriptionExterior access to full basement with utilities, storage, oil tank.